The Worth of a Challenge


If you give a child a fish, you feed him for a day.
If you teach a child to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
But if you teach a child to learn, you feed him for a lifetime
and he doesn't have to just eat fish.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My favorite handwriting blogs and websites

Exactly that! I spend a great deal of time tracking down resources to help my little guys to not be the dude with the bad penmanship and I am going to share them with you right here and now! If you have any resources that you think are top notch then please let me know in the comments section and I will check it out and add it to my list! Now here they are in no particular order and why they made my list.


  • Preschool Printing Practice from Kidzone- Not only do they give a break down of age and skills to work on, but they also match it with free worksheets. A total score if you are looking for something quick and concise and not a lot of who-ha.
  • Donna Young- Donna, I have never met you, but your handwriting readiness stuff totally rocks! With worksheets that take you from making simple lines to perfecting cursive writing, I would even say that I could gain something from what your site has to offer
  • ESL Writing Wizard-OK, so if there were a Mr Wizard for handwriting, it would be the folks at ESL. The easy to use website allows you to make handwriting worksheets so you can incorporate handwriting into any lesson. I know lots of homeschoolers are keen on dictation and learning through copywork and this would be the handwriting companion in my opinion. You get options for what style and size of writing your child needs. 
  • Handwriting Help For Kids- This site really could also be known as Encyclopedia Handwriting. Written by an occupational therapist, it seems most problems can be answered on this one site. She has lots of free advice and printable product as well as other product for purchase
  • Practical Pages-This gal is not only practical, but sensible too! I love her philosophy and if you are willing to let go of the idea that kids need lots of worksheets to be able to learn, then this is the blog for you!
  • Fairy Dust Teaching-Need help organizing how your child learns these letters? Why not let a giraffe, monkey and a chicken help? Intrigued? check it out and get her free printable while you're there!
  • In The Teachers' Lounge- Need a way to keep a pencil in your budding writer's hand? The video tutorial and tips on the blog are just the tip of the ice burg! 
  • Confessions of a Homeschooler-Do you do a letter of the day program and want one that fosters handwriting? Well go no further! It's all here and it's almost all free printables to boot.

I would really love to see what resources work best for others as well so don't forget to leave a comment at the bottom!

3 comments:

  1. Several of these are sites I use often, but several are brand-new. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for putting my blog up there with all these excellent sites! I just love the variety and different approaches you present, so that any child's needs and style can be met! Isn't the internet the most wonderful resource?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog, I have found it very hard to get my children to write thankyou's for all the presents they are given for birthdays and christmas. I have discovered that it makes the task a whole lot easier now I have purchased some beautiful stationery from http://www.heritage-stationery.com The stationery has their names on it and the card is only A6 so they don't have to write too much!

    ReplyDelete